Wednesday, May 04, 2005

"Come out, your teacher's at the door..."

Imagine with me if you will...you're at home, relaxing after causing a ruckus at school, when suddenly, there's a knock at the door, and it's your teacher (make that TWO teachers) standing at the front door.

This was the scene Friday night. First, I had a rough week. My kids were hyper, but one in particular was just testing me. None of the kids did their homework, and it was just crazy. Anyway, we sat down and had a class discussion on it all on Friday, and then I dismissed them, except for one kid who was supposed to have a detention with me. Anyway, he's there for maybe 10 minutes, when he decides he doesn't want to be there. He looks at me and inches towards the door, smiling his creepy smile. I ask him to sit down and he does. But then he gets up later again, and this time he SHOOTS out the door and runs down the hall, picking up his bag on the way. Laughing the whole way. GAHHHHH I was so upset. All my kids left and I had a cry about how I totally felt like I can't be a teacher. It was rough. Anyway, he's at risk of being kicked out of the school, so I didn't know what to do exactly. My teacher came back and came up with the suggestion that we go visit him and either make him serve his detention right outside his house, or make sure he understands that he can't just run off, etc.

Which brings me to the scene where my teacher and I stood outside his door and let him know he'd be making up the time big-time. I can't even believe I visited a student's house as a student teacher. CRAZY. So that was my Friday. I was really upset all that night. I was tired, and all I wanted to do half the time was cry. Being tired can really make a girl emotional! So that was Friday, and he's still driving me nuts. It's May, and it's not like he had a lot of motivation to work in the first place, but he's just really distracted and lazy right now. I wish he would try. He's a smart kid. WHat's the problem?!?!?

3 comments:

naomi said...

hey michelle,

that stinks. i don't have any solutions as i am probably one of the worst disciplinarians around, but in the very least you and your teacher care enough to visit the kid and try to straighten him out. that counts for something...keep on truckin'!

lynnie said...

boy mich. Your blog makes me question if I can handle being a teacher. Those Sunday school kids of mine are horrible. Just horrible! :D and there are only 2 of them that cause super craziness. You had one kid. So what if I end up with 10 kids like that in one class?

Yikes.

Emixs or Emiks said...

Hey Michy
Just remember it's not "Your class" I'm sure if it was your class you would have more control over the students in your class. Children "know" that they can get away with people who aren't their teacher... Don't worry You'll love teaching once you have your own class.